Why do Bricklayers need Insurance?

As with other trades, bricklayers need to consider Tradies Insurance so you’re covered* for negligence that results in personal injury to another person or damage to someone’s property.

As a bricklayer, if you are found liable for causing personal injury or property damage, you can find yourself responsible for costs ranging from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. Rather than you paying the costs of a claim out of your own pocket, Tradies Insurance (what we also like to call Trades pack Insurance) can cover the costs claimed against you provided that the claim falls within the terms of the policy.

A bricklayer who doesn’t have Tradies Insurance can incur substantial costs if a successful claim is made against them. It’s why Tradies Insurance is one of the most important insurance covers a bricklayer can get.

Insurance products for Bricklayers

Bricklayers are exposed to a unique set of risks while they are carrying out their work.

HIA Insurance Services understands that bricklayers need an insurance policy that provides cover for these risks and has designed Tradies Insurance to cater to bricklayers’ specific needs. It can provide protection against financial loss should a bricklayer or any other trade be found legally responsible for causing property damage or personal injury in the course of their work.

Personal injury may result from a person tripping on a stack of bricks or even from a brick having been dropped from a height. Property damage can be caused by a wall collapsing or even by a wheelbarrow scratching the paintwork of a car.

Note that Tradies Insurance doesn’t include the cost of rectifying faulty work itself, but it does help provide cover for the cost of the resulting damage.

What are the benefits of Trades Pack Insurance?

We specialise in bricklayer’s insurance and can help you with the cover you need. The Tradies Insurance package we arrange includes the following benefits:

  • Cover is easy to obtain using our online portal
  • It provides cover for both bricklayers and their employees
  • Optional tool cover can be added to your policy.

Why HIA Insurance Services?

HIA Insurance Services (HIAIS) combines the construction industry expertise of the Housing Industry Association (HIA) with the risk and insurance knowledge of Aon to provide products and advice that are specific to the residential construction industry.

We arrange insurance policies that are suited to the unique risk exposures faced by bricklayers by offering bricklayer public liability and professional indemnity insurance, among other useful business insurances. As one of the largest and most experienced insurance brokers in the country, HIA Insurance Services can arrange insurance policies tailored to the needs of bricklayers and other construction industry trades, as well as pursue fast and hassle-free claims processes.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes you can, monthly payments can be arranged through a premium funding agreement with Hunter Premium Funding2 to help you spread the costs of your insurance across the year. Please note that the total overall cost is higher if you pay monthly. Contact HIA Insurance Service on 1800 762 878 to find out more information.

Tradies Insurance does cover your employees1, however it does not act as a work cover policy should one of your employees be injured during the course of their work. For information on work cover, you can visit the Workers’ Compensation page of our website.

No, subcontractors need their own policy as they are not direct employees.

Your tools are covered provided that you have taken out optional cover as part of your Tradies Insurance policy1. Optional tools cover can provide cover for theft or any attempted theft following forcible entry.

Yes, but there must be proof of forced entry into the vehicle, such as a broken window, damage to door locks, etc.1

Registered trailers are not covered under the Trades Pack policy and require a separate policy. Contact HIA Insurance Services for a quote.

When purchasing your insurance, you are required to tell your insurer everything they need to know so they can assess your level of risk accurately. You may therefore not be covered for any work you do not disclose to HIA Insurance Services which is not related to your occupation. Please contact HIA Insurance Services if your occupation has changed.

No, Tradies Insurance isn’t sufficient for a builder because it covers one trade only. You will need to consider taking out a Construction Works Insurance, Public & Product Liability policy

*Subject to the policy terms, limits and exclusions

© 2021 HIA Insurance Services Pty Ltd (ABN 84 076 460 967) is an authorised representative (no.275925) of Aon Risk Services Australia Limited (ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141) (HIAIS).
The HIA Insurance Services Tradies Insurance (Trades Pack) policy is arranged by HIAIS under a binder agreement on behalf of the insurance issuer, QBE Insurance (Australia) Ltd, ABN 78 003 191 035, AFSL 239545. When acting under a binder we will be acting as agent of the insurer and not as your agent. Our binder arrangements with the insurer are such that we remain your agent in the handling of any claim. If you purchase this insurance through HIAIS, HIAIS will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Further information can be found in HIAIS’ Financial Services Guide or provided upon request.