Why do Carpenters need Insurance?

Carpenters need to know they have cover for any third party personal injury and property damage they cause while on a job or after the work has been completed.

Even good carpenters know that accidents can happen at any time. Because carpenters are responsible for the structural integrity of the buildings they construct, they face the very real risk of injuring someone or causing damage to property if something goes wrong.

What Insurance do Carpenters need?

HIA Insurance Services understands the risks that carpenters face while carrying out their job and has designed a policy to meet their specific needs.

Trades Pack Insurance for carpenters can provide protection against financial loss should a carpenter be found legally responsible for causing personal injury to a third party. Personal injury could be caused by anything from electrocution and a fall from a height through to exposure to hazardous substances such wood dust and wood adhesives.

And it can provide cover for damage caused on a worksite, whether something minor such as a broken window, or serious property damage such as that caused by a fallen beam.

Note that Trades Pack Insurance doesn’t include the cost of rectifying faulty work itself, but it does provide cover for the cost of the resulting damage.

What are the cover benefits of Tradies Insurance?

We specialise in arranging cover for Carpenters and have developed a Tradies Insurance product that caters to the specific risks faced by your industry.

The Tradies Insurance we arrange includes the following benefits:

  • Cover is easy to obtain using our online portal
  • It provides cover for both carpenters and their employees
  • Optional tool cover can be added to your policy
Scroll down for more content 

Case Study

Preparing for a rainy day

The weather app isn’t always right! Roofing Contractor, Bill unfortunately had to learn that the hard way when he was on-site, working on a roof that was only half covered and protected from unfavourable weather. Not knowing that a thunderstorm was around the corner, Bill left the job-site without taking additional measures to ensure the house under construction was protected. When he turned up on-site the next morning, water had entered the roof and caused significant damage to the insulation and ceilings of the house. Eventually, this caused the ceiling to subsequently collapse, damaging the carpet and other items in the house. Luckily, Bill had purchased Tradies Insurance through HIA Insurance Services and was able to successfully make a claim a claim of $19,000 to cover the damages.

Why HIA Insurance Services?

HIA Insurance Services (HIAIS) combines the construction industry expertise of the Housing Industry Association (HIA) with the risk and insurance knowledge of Aon to provide products and advice that are specific to the residential construction industry.

We arrange insurance policies that are suited to the unique risk exposures faced by carpenters by offering carpenter public liability and tools of trade cover, among other useful business insurances. As one of the largest and most experienced insurance brokers in the country, HIA Insurance Services can arrange insurance policies tailored to the needs of carpenters and other construction industry trades, as well as pursue fast and hassle-free claims processes.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes you can, monthly payments can be arranged through a premium funding agreement with Hunter Premium Funding2 to help you spread the costs of your insurance across the year. Please note that the total overall cost is higher if you pay monthly. Contact HIA Insurance Service on 1800 762 878 to find out more information.

Tradies Insurance does cover your employees1, however it does not act as a work cover policy should one of your employees be injured during the course of their work. For information on work cover, you can visit the Workers’ Compensation page of our website.

No, subcontractors need their own policy as they are not direct employees.

Your tools are covered provided that you have taken out optional cover as part of your Tradies Insurance policy1. Optional tools cover can provide cover for theft or any attempted theft following forcible entry.

Yes, but there must be proof of forced entry into the vehicle, such as a broken window, damage to door locks, etc.1

Registered trailers are not covered under the Trades Pack policy and require a separate policy. Contact HIA Insurance Services for a quote.

When purchasing your insurance, you are required to tell your insurer everything they need to know so they can assess your level of risk accurately. You may therefore not be covered for any work you do not disclose to HIA Insurance Services which is not related to your occupation. Please contact HIA Insurance Services if your occupation has changed.

No, Tradies Insurance isn’t sufficient for a builder because it covers one trade only. You will need to consider taking out a Construction Works Insurance, Public & Product Liability policy

*Subject to the policy terms, limits and exclusions

© 2021 HIA Insurance Services Pty Ltd (ABN 84 076 460 967) is an authorised representative (no.275925) of Aon Risk Services Australia Limited (ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141) (HIAIS).
The HIA Insurance Services Tradies Insurance (Trades Pack) policy is arranged by HIAIS under a binder agreement on behalf of the insurance issuer, QBE Insurance (Australia) Ltd, ABN 78 003 191 035, AFSL 239545. When acting under a binder we will be acting as agent of the insurer and not as your agent. Our binder arrangements with the insurer are such that we remain your agent in the handling of any claim. If you purchase this insurance through HIAIS, HIAIS will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Further information can be found in HIAIS’ Financial Services Guide or provided upon request.