Why do Tilers need Insurance?

Any tiler who runs their own business or who works as a subcontractor needs to consider taking out Tradies Insurance. It’s designed to protect business owners from costs they accrue if they’re found liable for causing personal injury to others, or damaging property, while carrying out a project – and once that project has been completed.

As with any tradie profession, tilers work in an environment that can be dangerous to them and others. Tiles are inherently heavy and often have sharp edges, which means tilers face the risk of causing serious injury if a tile should fall. Because tilers often work in wet areas, there’s the additional risk of having someone slip on a wet floor. Falling tiles have also been known to damage property, such as when they slide off a roof and onto a car, awning or barbeque.

Tradies Insurance (what we also like to call Trades Pack Insurance) can help cover costs associated with causing injury or property damage if a tiler is found to be liable while they’re carrying out their work.

Insurance products for Tilers

HIA Insurance Services understands the risks that tilers face while on a worksite and has designed a policy to meet their specific needs.

Trades Pack Insurance for tilers can provide protection against financial loss should a tiler be found legally responsible for causing personal injury to a third party of damaging someone’s property. If a tiler hasn’t taken out insurance and is found to be liable for causing injury or property damage, the costs could be significant.

Note that Trades Pack Insurance doesn’t include the cost of rectifying faulty work itself, but it does cover the cost of the resulting damage.

What are the benefits of Trades Pack Insurance?

We specialise in tiler’s insurance and can help you with the cover you need. The Tradies Insurance we can arrange for tilers includes the following benefits:

  • Cover is easy to obtain using our online portal
  • It provides cover for both tilers and their employees
  • Optional tool cover can be added to your policy.
Scroll down for more content 

Case Study

Not the finish you were hoping for?

Tim, a Tiler by trade was contracted to replace the tiles in an existing kitchen, a small job compared to the large-scale work Tim’s business is normally hired for. When the job was completed, Tim applied some hydrochloric acid clean to clean the floor grout, unknowingly destroying all the stainless steel appliances in the client’s kitchen, which all had to be replaced. The damage totalled $24,000 which Tim was able to claim back through his Tradies Insurance policy with the help of his HIA Insurance Services broker.

Why HIA Insurance Services?

HIA Insurance Services (HIAIS) combines the construction industry expertise of the Housing Industry Association (HIA) with the risk and insurance knowledge of Aon to provide products and advice that are specific to the residential construction industry.

We arrange insurance policies that are suited to the unique risk exposures faced by tilers by offering tiler public liability and tiler professional indemnity insurance, among other useful business insurances. As one of the largest and most experienced insurance brokers in the country, HIA Insurance Services can arrange insurance policies tailored to the needs of tilers and other construction industry trades, as well as pursue fast and hassle-free claims processes.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes you can, monthly payments can be arranged through a premium funding agreement with Hunter Premium Funding2 to help you spread the costs of your insurance across the year. Please note that the total overall cost is higher if you pay monthly. Contact HIA Insurance Service on 1800 762 878 to find out more information.

Tradies Insurance does cover your employees1, however it does not act as a work cover policy should one of your employees be injured during the course of their work. For information on work cover, you can visit the Workers’ Compensation page of our website.

No, subcontractors need their own policy as they are not direct employees.

Your tools are covered provided that you have taken out optional cover as part of your Tradies Insurance policy1. Optional tools cover can provide cover for theft or any attempted theft following forcible entry.

Yes, but there must be proof of forced entry into the vehicle, such as a broken window, damage to door locks, etc.1

Registered trailers are not covered under the Trades Pack policy and require a separate policy. Contact HIA Insurance Services for a quote.

When purchasing your insurance, you are required to tell your insurer everything they need to know so they can assess your level of risk accurately. You may therefore not be covered for any work you do not disclose to HIA Insurance Services which is not related to your occupation. Please contact HIA Insurance Services if your occupation has changed.

No, Tradies Insurance isn’t sufficient for a builder because it covers one trade only. You will need to consider taking out a Construction Works Insurance, Public & Product Liability policy

*Subject to the policy terms, limits and exclusions

© 2021 HIA Insurance Services Pty Ltd (ABN 84 076 460 967) is an authorised representative (no.275925) of Aon Risk Services Australia Limited (ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141) (HIAIS).
The HIA Insurance Services Tradies Insurance (Trades Pack) policy is arranged by HIAIS under a binder agreement on behalf of the insurance issuer, QBE Insurance (Australia) Ltd, ABN 78 003 191 035, AFSL 239545. When acting under a binder we will be acting as agent of the insurer and not as your agent. Our binder arrangements with the insurer are such that we remain your agent in the handling of any claim. If you purchase this insurance through HIAIS, HIAIS will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Further information can be found in HIAIS’ Financial Services Guide or provided upon request.