Why do Concreters need Insurance?

Accidents can happen to even the best tradies, which is why concreters and other tradies working in the building sector need to consider Tradies Insurance cover (what we also like to call Trades Pack Insurance). Tradies Insurance helps ensure that concreters are covered for any third party personal injury and property damage they cause while carrying out their job and once their job is complete.

Concreters are responsible for the structural integrity of the homes they work on and often work on public pathways and roads. It means they are at heightened risk of causing serious injury or property damage if something goes wrong.

The risks facing concreters mean they can be exposed to large financial penalties if they are held liable for causing injury or damaging property. In a worst-case scenario, a successful claim against a concreting business can force it into insolvency. It’s why Tradies Insurance is one of the most important insurance covers a concreter can get.

Insurance products for Concreters

HIA Insurance Services has designed an insurance policy that caters to the unique risks that concreters face while carrying out their job.

Trades Pack Insurance for concreters Insurance can provide protection against financial loss should a concreter be found legally responsible for causing personal injury to a third party. Personal injury could be caused by anything from a fall from a height through to the collapse of a wall or the dropping of a tool onto a passer-by.

Property damage can range from the minor through to significant structural failure of a floor or wall on an unsecured site.

Note that Trades Pack Insurance doesn’t include the cost of rectifying faulty work itself, but it does provide cover for the cost of the resulting damage.

What are the benefits of Trades Pack Insurance?

We specialise in concreter’s insurance and can help you with the cover you need. The Tradies Insurance we can arrange for Concreters includes the following benefits:

  • Cover is easy to obtain using our online portal
  • It provides cover for both concreters and their employees
  • Optional tool cover can be added to your policy.
Scroll down for more content 

Case Study

Caution: Slippery when dry!

Joe, a concreter by trade was contracted to resurface a customer’s concrete pathway leading directly to their front door. Once the job had been completed, Joe received a call saying a door-knocker slipped and fell on the resurfaced concrete as it was uneven, leading to significant back injuries. The third-party held Joe liable for the injury and as a result was legally required to pay $171,000 in compensation to the injured third-party. Without Tradies Insurance, an incident similar to this could lead to significant financial implications for your business.

Why HIA Insurance Services?

HIA Insurance Services (HIAIS) combines the construction industry expertise of the Housing Industry Association (HIA) with the risk and insurance knowledge of Aon to provide products and advice that are specific to the residential construction industry.

We arrange insurance policies that are suited to the unique risk exposures faced by concreters by offering concreter public liability and professional indemnity insurance, among other useful business insurances. As one of the largest and most experienced insurance brokers in the country, HIA Insurance Services can arrange insurance policies tailored to the needs of concreters and other construction industry trades, as well as pursue fast and hassle-free claims processes.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes you can, monthly payments can be arranged through a premium funding agreement with Hunter Premium Funding2 to help you spread the costs of your insurance across the year. Please note that the total overall cost is higher if you pay monthly. Contact HIA Insurance Service on 1800 762 878 to find out more information.

Tradies Insurance does cover your employees1, however it does not act as a work cover policy should one of your employees be injured during the course of their work. For information on work cover, you can visit the Workers’ Compensation page of our website.

No, subcontractors need their own policy as they are not direct employees.

Your tools are covered provided that you have taken out optional cover as part of your Tradies Insurance policy1. Optional tools cover can provide cover for theft or any attempted theft following forcible entry.

Yes, but there must be proof of forced entry into the vehicle, such as a broken window, damage to door locks, etc.1

Registered trailers are not covered under the Trades Pack policy and require a separate policy. Contact HIA Insurance Services for a quote.

When purchasing your insurance, you are required to tell your insurer everything they need to know so they can assess your level of risk accurately. You may therefore not be covered for any work you do not disclose to HIA Insurance Services which is not related to your occupation. Please contact HIA Insurance Services if your occupation has changed.

No, Tradies Insurance isn’t sufficient for a builder because it covers one trade only. You will need to consider taking out a Construction Works Insurance, Public & Product Liability policy

*Subject to the policy terms, limits and exclusions

© 2021 HIA Insurance Services Pty Ltd (ABN 84 076 460 967) is an authorised representative (no.275925) of Aon Risk Services Australia Limited (ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141) (HIAIS).
The HIA Insurance Services Tradies Insurance (Trades Pack) policy is arranged by HIAIS under a binder agreement on behalf of the insurance issuer, QBE Insurance (Australia) Ltd, ABN 78 003 191 035, AFSL 239545. When acting under a binder we will be acting as agent of the insurer and not as your agent. Our binder arrangements with the insurer are such that we remain your agent in the handling of any claim. If you purchase this insurance through HIAIS, HIAIS will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Further information can be found in HIAIS’ Financial Services Guide or provided upon request.